- Rinse mussels; wash and finely chop the fennel.
- In a casserole dish, sweat the chopped fennel in butter, and then add the pastis and mussels. Cook until the mussels open.
- Remove and shell the mussels, then return the flesh to the casserole dish.
- Add the single cream and bring to the boil.
- Blend the mixture and strain.
- Chop the smoked herring, add 20 cl single cream and crush with a fork to form rillettes.
- Using a melon baller, make 8 butterballs and double coat in breadcrumbs by dipping the balls in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Repeat the process.
- Fry the cromesquis in oil at 180°C then place on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Pierce each butterball to extract the melted butter and, using a fine icing bag (or a syringe), fill the balls with the herring rillettes.
- Tip the creamed mussels into a large bowl and add the diced Fourme d’Ambert with some sprigs of dill. Place two skewered herring cromesquis across the bowl.
Creamed Bouchot Mussels, Fourme d’Ambert, Herring Cromesquis
- 100 g Fourme d’Ambert,
- 400 g Bouchot mussels,
- 100 g fennel,
- 50 g single cream,
- 1 cl pastis,
- 2 cl olive oil,
- A bunch of dill,
- Salt and pepper.
To make the cromesquis :
- 100 g smoked herring,
- 20 cl single cream,
- 1 egg,
- 80 g butter,
- 30 g flour,
- 30 g breadcrumbs,
- Oil for frying.